[Poclad] Climate crisis 14

Wanda Ballentine wsb70 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 19:38:02 PDT 2010

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/312-16/3569-worlds-biggest-day-of-climate-action-unites-7000-rallies-in-188-countries
World's Biggest Day of Climate Action Unites 7,000 Rallies in 188 Countries
Leading by example, citizens in 188 countries
joined more than 7,000 climate "work parties"
over the weekend to get to work installing solar
panels, weatherizing homes, planting trees, and
then calling politicians to ask a simple
question, "We're getting to work, what about you?"
In the days surrounding the work party, U.S.
President Barack Obama, Maldivian President
Mohamed Nasheed, and Illinois Governor Pat Quinn
all committed to install solar on their official
residences. Mexico City and Parisian Mayors
committed to cut their city's emissions 10% over
the next year. Dozens of politicians, from US
Senators to the President of the Timor-Leste Parliament joined rallies.

http://members.greenpeace.org/blog/grassroots/2010/10/12/-10-20-19-am-ben-kroetz-the-world-gets-t
The World Gets to Work: Photos from 10/10/10
Greenpeace posts many photos fromallover.

http://www.care2.com/causes/global-warming/blog/-10-million-climate-change-ad-sponsored-by-uk-government/
$10 Million Climate Change Ad Sponsored By UK Government (VIDEO)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/oct/08/china-us-blamed-talks-stall
China and US blamed as climate talks stall
Progress on a climate deal is held back by tough
stances of the world's two biggest carbon polluters

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/10/08-6
Friends of the Earth and Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
Experts Warn UN Climate Delegates Against Use of Carbon Markets
Expanded carbon markets endanger food security,
forests, the broader economy, and the climate
“Including carbon as a commodity in the same
poorly regulated global markets that so recently
tore apart developing country economies and
pushed a hundred million more people into hunger
is highly irresponsible.  The UNFCCC and AGF
should consider alternative approaches to climate
finance that promote sustainable agriculture and protect food security.”

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/10/08-3
Center for Biological Diversity warning
As Climate Talks Wind Down in China, Time Running Out for Global Action
World Leaders Must Act to Reduce Emissions, Avoid
Disastrous Consequences of Climate Crisis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/oct/09/climate-talks-china-america-clash
Climate deal is closer, says UN envoy, despite China and US locking horns

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69B0GV20101012
Time short for climate deal: ex-U.N. envoy
A former U.N. special envoy on climate change
said he doesn't expect any major progress by key
nations to draw up a new climate pact at a
meeting next month in Mexico because opinions are still too divided

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE69A1KG.htm
Go green, Hezbollah guerrilla chief tells Lebanese
"The climate threat today," the bespectacled
cleric told his listeners, "is among the biggest
threats faced by mankind in (terms of) its peace,
security, stability and existence."

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/10/11/101011fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all
As the World Burns
How the Senate and the White House missed their
best chance to deal with climate change.
Acclaimed New Yorker article.

http://www.care2.com/causes/global-warming/blog/california-proves-reducing-emissions-can-grow-the-economy/
California Proves Reducing Emissions Can Grow the Economy
“The California experience demonstrates that
reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions can be
achieved while also growing the economy,”
declares a study by Study by Next 10, nonpartisan
organization. California enacted the Global
Warming Solutions Act (AB 32) in 2006 which sets
the target of reducing GHG emissions to 1990
levels by 2020. Titled 2010 California Clean
Energy Index, the study reports that during the
first half of 2010 California attracted 40
percent of global clean tech venture capital,
totaling over $11.6 billion. For every dollar of
GDP generated in 2008, California’s economy
needed 32 percent less carbon-per dollar than it did in 1990.
[can download report]

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-10-08-telling-the-truth-about-climate-change-is-good-politics
Telling the truth about climate change is good politics

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-10-07-industry-always-wrong-about-cost-of-air-quality-regulations
Industry is always wrong about the cost of air-quality regulations
For decades, every time the EPA proposed a new
air-quality regulation, industry-funded
economists and lobbyists wildly overestimated the
costs, sometimes by up to 1,000 percent.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,721846,00.html#ref=nlint
The Traveling Salesmen of Climate Skepticism

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/global-warming/Chinas-glaciers-may-shrink-27-percent-by-2050-Report/articleshow/6720116.cms
China's glaciers may shrink 27 percent by 2050: Report
  The average area of glaciers in western China
might shrink by 27.2 percent by 2050 because of
global warming, damaging crop production and worsening droughts

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101010133630.htm
Huge Parts of World Are Drying Up: Land
'Evapotranspiration' Taking Unexpected Turn
The soils in large areas of the Southern
Hemisphere, including major portions of
Australia, Africa and South America, have been
drying up in the past decade, a group of
researchers conclude in the first major study to
ever examine "evapotranspiration" on a global basis.
....consequences could include reduced
terrestrial vegetation growth, less carbon
absorption, a loss of the natural cooling
mechanism provided by evapotranspiration, more
heating of the land surface, more intense heat
waves and a "feedback loop" that could intensify global warming.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/TOE69900L.htm
ANALYSIS-Asia's water scarcity poses economic, political test
.... as recently as April, a fearsome drought had
shrivelled the Mekong to its narrowest in 50
years. Water levels were so low that at Guanlei,
a river town not far from here, dozens of boats
were laid up for more than three months.  Alarmed
at the drying up of the world's largest inland
fishery, the four members of the Mekong River
Commission -- Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam -- called a special summit.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101006141548.htm
Greatest Warming Is in the North, but Biggest Impact on Life Is in the Tropics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1318173/Lucy-ODonnell-photos-polar-bear-jumping-drifting-Arctic-ice.html
Going with the floe: Polar bear hunts for solid
footing as new study charts continuing decline in Arctic ice

2 October 2010 Last updated at 07:24 ET
Population shifts 'substantially influence' emissions
So unemployment is good for cutting
emissions....  maybe govts should pay folks to
stay home instead of egging them on to
spending.  Oldies like me many contribute fewer
emissions, but we're a drag on the economy so
some govts. urge increasing the birth
rate.  Could let immigration handle the need for more workers, but god forbid!

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/10/08-5
'Don't Worry, Be Happy': Canada Sees Climate
Change Prosperity Instead of Calamity
"How can we (Canada) talk about profiting from
climate change when most of the world will suffer
devastating impacts, in part because of our emissions?  It is disgusting."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/10/population-4x-more-important-than-climate-change-on-water-shortage.php
Population 4x More Important Than Climate Change on Water Shortage
We're well aware of the fact that humans have a
significant impact on water supplies -- from
groundwater pumping to altering the course and
flow of the world's rivers, we are no small
player in how much fresh water exists on the
planet. However, would we ever have guessed that
we were four times more significant than climate
change on water supplies? A new report shows that
we really need to focus far more on humans than
warming temperatures if we want to avoid major
water conflicts in the near future.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=us-fish-and-wildlife-service-climate-chage
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Casts for
Collaboration in Its New Climate Change Response Plan
The plan emphasizes the need to share knowledge
and scientific capacity, and establishes a new
type of conservation partnership. But will it work in practice?

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Ocean_Conditions_Likely_To_Reduce_Colorado_River_Flows_During_This_Winter_Drought_999.html
Ocean Conditions Likely To Reduce Colorado River
Flows During This Winter's Drought
After 11 years of drought, water levels at Lake
Mead are at risk again this winter of dropping further, a UCLA study predicts.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/08/no-more-sea-shells-by-the-sea-shore-%E2%80%93-new-evidence-of-the-impacts-of-rising-co2-levels/
No More Sea Shells by the Sea Shore – New
Evidence of the Impacts of Rising CO2 Levels
The researchers used the Northern quahog, or hard
clam, and the Atlantic bay scallop, two
economically- and ecologically-significant
shellfish. As the photos indicate, those clams
and scallops that were grown in preindustrial
conditions displayed significantly faster growth
and development and had higher survival rates
compared to those grown in today’s conditions. In
addition, the shells of “tomorrow’s shellfish”
(those grown under conditions scientists predict
we’ll encounter later this century) were malformed and eroded.

http://www.utne.com/Wild-Green/Will-Climate-Change-Spell-the-End-of-Liberalism.aspx
Will Climate Change Spell the End of Liberalism?
Just add the finishing touches, unless we can
make a turnaround in addressing it.  When
Columbia economics professor Robert Brady wrote
his classic, The Spirit and Structure of German
Fascism, in 1937,  he warned that the signs of
fascism were already present in the U.S., and the
push toward totalitarianism has been gaining
ground ever since.  When the wars start over water, food and living space.....

“If we do not do the impossible, we shall be
faced with the unthinkable.”  social philosopher Murray Bookchin
How can a person live a moral life in a culture
of death?  Charles Bowden  Some of the Dead Are Still Breathing