[Poclad] GOP stampeding toward absolutist rejection of climate science unmatched among political parties around the globe

Wanda Ballentine wsb70 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 19:51:50 PDT 2010

http://climateprogress.org/2010/10/10/national-journal-gop-rejection-of-climate-science-ron-brownstei/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climateprogress%2FlCrX+%28Climate+Progress%29

<http://climateprogress.org/2010/10/10/national-journal-gop-rejection-of-climate-science-ron-brownstei/>National
Journal: “The GOP is stampeding toward an
absolutist rejection of climate science that
appears unmatched among major political parties
around the globe, even conservative ones.”

October 10, 2010

Indeed, it is difficult to identify another major
political party in any democracy as thoroughly
dismissive of climate science as is the GOP here.
Eileen Claussen, president of the Pew Center on
Global Climate Change, says that although other
parties may contain pockets of climate
skepticism, there is “no party-wide view like
this anywhere in the world that I am aware of.”

It will be difficult for the world to move
meaningfully against climate disruption if the
United States does not. And it will be almost
impossible for the U.S. to act if one party not
only rejects the most common solution proposed
for the problem (cap-and-trade) but repudiates
even the idea that there is a problem to be
solved. The GOP’s stiffening rejection of climate
science sets the stage for much heated argument
but little action as the world inexorably warms ­
and the dangers that Hague identified creep closer.

That’s from an excellent National Journal piece,
“<http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/print_friendly.php?ID=nj_20101009_9888>GOP
Gives Climate Science A Cold Shoulder.”  It’s
rare for a straight political commentator like
Ron Brownstein to write a piece that isn’t just
political theater but actually gets the
importance of being wrong on this most important of issues.

Hague is the UK’s conservative Foreign Secretary
William Hague, who said in a must-read speech
last week,
<http://climateprogress.org/2010/09/29/william-hague-speech-climate-security/>“You
cannot have food, water, or energy security
without climate security.” The point is, only
U.S. conservatives are this uniquely
self-destructive, embracing a position that will
destroy food security, water security, and energy
security for the nation and the world.

Think Progress has a couple of recent instances
of this, with videos, starting with the most
famous one-time witchcraft dabbler on the planet:

CNN’s Jim Acosta
<http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/07/odonnell.acosta.interview/>had
the opportunity to interview GOP Senate candidate
Christine O’Donnell yesterday, weeks after the
tea party favorite
<http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/07/odonnell-cnn-interview/>swore
off national media appearances. O’Donnell gave
Acosta the GOP line on tax cuts, health care, and
national security, and
<http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1010/08/ltm.02.html>joined
the rest of the Republican Party’s candidates for
U.S. Senate who
<http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/gop-senate-deniers/>question
the science that global warming is manmade:

ACOSTA: Global warming, is it manmade? Does human
activity contribute to global warming?

O’DONNELL: I don’t have an opinion on that. I
would have to look at a specific piece of
legislation when it comes to cap and trade, the
bill that has been pout there supposedly out
there to combat climate change. I’m opposed to
cap and trade because of the economic
consequences. What it will do to the individual
household, skyrocketing our utility bills beyond
what we can afford, and it doesn’t address the
real issue it was intended to address.

VIDEO

The Wonk Room’s Brad Johnson
<http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/gop-senate-deniers/>notes,
“In May, 2010, the National Academies of Science
reported to Congress that ‘the U.S. should act
now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and
develop a national strategy to adapt to the
inevitable impacts of climate change’ because
global warming is ’caused largely by human
activities, and poses significant risks for ­ and
in many cases is already affecting ­ a broad
range of human and natural systems.’”

That’s a TP
<http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/08/odonnell-global-warming-manmade/>cross-post.
Here’s another <http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/09/chris-dudley-denier/>one.

<http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/09/chris-dudley-denier/>OR
Gov Candidate Chris Dudley: ‘I Don’t Know’ If Global Warming Is Man-Made

Like
<http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/08/odonnell-global-warming-manmade/>Christine
O’Donnell and other
<http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/gop-senate-deniers/>know-nothing
Tea Party candidates, Chris Dudley ­ the
Republican nominee for Oregon’s governor ­
doesn’t know and doesn’t care if global warming
is caused by fossil fuel pollution. Toeing the
party line, Dudley opposes the Western Climate
Initiative global warming agreement as a
“<http://blog.oregonlive.com/mapesonpolitics/2010/09/more_on_chris_dudley_and_the_e.html>cap-tax-trade”
system that would “do damage to the economy and
job creation.” He even
<http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/09/dudley_kitzhaber_take_differen.html>bashed
a weatherization initiative as a boondoggle.
“Climate change is probably caused by a variety
of factors,” Dudley said in a September interview
with the Oregonian, “but
<http://blog.oregonlive.com/mapesonpolitics/2010/09/more_on_chris_dudley_and_the_e.html>that
debate is beside the point.” In a gubernatorial
debate on September 30, Dudley finally admitted
he
<http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/09/john_kitzhaber_and_chris_dudle.html>doesn’t
know if pollution is causing global warming:

My thought on global warming is this: that global
warming exists, man contributes to it, how much,
I don’t know. I don’t know how much is man made and how much is natural.

VIDEO

In contrast, Democratic candidate John Kitzhaber
is clear: “I do believe climate change is
human-caused, and it poses an enormous threat to
our country and to our nation.” While Dudley has
been silent, Kitzhaber has issued a
<http://www.johnkitzhaber.com/environmental-plan/goals/>strategic
roadmap for green economic empowerment in Oregon.

Related Posts:
    *
<http://climateprogress.org/2010/09/15/tea-party-extremists-big-oil-global-warming/>Why
the victory of the Tea Party extremists (backed
by Big Oil) over the slightly less extreme GOP
establishment (also backed by Big Oil) is good
for progressives, but bad for climate and clean energy
    *
<http://climateprogress.org/2010/09/14/senate-gop-candidates-deny-scienceclimate-zombies/>Dawn
of the brain-dead Senate
    *
<http://climateprogress.org/2010/09/10/climate-zombies-gop-global-warming-deniers/>Attack
of the climate zombies!

“If we do not do the impossible, we shall be
faced with the unthinkable.”  social philosopher Murray Bookchin
How can a person live a moral life in a culture
of death?  Charles Bowden  Some of the Dead Are Still Breathing