[Poclad] Gusher gazette 14

Wanda Ballentine wsb70 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 12:03:53 PDT 2010

Certain types of stories are being removed from
the Internet - two are on this list and I found
another on another subject.  If the URLs given
for those no longer work and you wish to read them, I copied them.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=11772073
27 NATO oil tankers torched in Pakistan
The above headline is what I received this
morning, but the URL wouldn't work, so I googled
it - there were at least 5 articles by the same
name but from different sources, all foreign -
all had been removed and forwarded me instead to
industry pages on oil or oil tankers.  I finally
found this ABC report with a different title that
doesn't mention the 27 tankers until near the
end.  I wonder what those other articles said????

http://www.truth-out.org/exclusive-doj-refuses-revoke-bps-probation-over-safety-violations-texas-city-refinery63613
EXCLUSIVE: DOJ Refuses to Revoke BP's Probation
Over Safety Violations at Texas City Refinery
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has refused to
pursue a probation revocation case against BP
after the company was found to have violated a
federal judge's March 2009 felony judgment,
requiring BP to fulfill the terms of a settlement
agreement made 5 years ago to make safety
upgrades at its Texas City refinery by September
2009.... Instead, the DOJ will allow BP to spend
two additional years to correct hundreds of
safety problems that have plagued the refinery -
the third-largest in the country - for a decade
and have played a part in the deaths of 19 people
over the past five years....  "This coddling is
taking place in the wake of the worst
environmental disaster in US history lying at
BP’s feet," the fomer EPA official said. "DOJ’s
position is a pathetic lack of representation of
the will of the American people as poll numbers obviously attest.”

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010/10/02/Toxic-chemicals-multiply-after-Gulf-leak/UPI-89781286051459/
Toxic chemicals multiply after Gulf leak
  The BP oil disaster sent carcinogenic chemical
levels soaring in the Gulf of Mexico.... "It's an
incredibly huge jump in concentration in a natural environment,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39405180/ns/us_news-environment/
Plan for using BP spill fines unveiled
Most would go to restoring Gulf, not cleanup fund, but lawmaker approval needed
msnbc.com news services

http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national/censored-gulf-news-dying-without-aid-seen-on-tv-ignored-cries-for-help-america
Censored Gulf news: Dying without aid seen on TV.
Ignored cries for help in America
This is horrific - people affected as far away as
Tennessee - and being left to hang - like Haiti, like Katrina

This news is indeed being censored - as reported
in the article - and when I googled the title I
found it had been removed from other sites..

http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national
Censored Gulf news: Voice from inside Ochsner Hospital
Gulf Coast humanitarian leaders hospitalized, the
latest casualties resulting in canceling Coastal
Heritage Society of Louisiana (CHSL) radio
program. Joannie Hughes, Kindra Arnesen and Vicky
Perrin of CHSL are ill with symptoms of poisoning

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/09/30-9
Greenpeace - Independently-Funded Research
Expedition Locates Deep Sea Remnants of Gulf Oil
Plume 300 Miles West of Spill Site
Fresh oil also recovered from deep-water sediment samples near BP disaster site

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-cope/extreme-turbine-power-boa_b_742572.html
Extreme Turbine Power Boats to Help Clean Up the Gulf
Orange Beach, FL - lying to pull in tourists - check video satire

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Still-Hidden-in-the-Bayous-by-Mac-McKinney-100928-393.html

Still Hidden in the Bayous: BP Does Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Several videos of damage and testimony on BP damage in Mississippi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100926/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_investigation
Experts question BP's take on Gulf oil spill

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/13/MN641FD4LP.DTL
Questionable U.S. spending after gulf oil spill
The federal government hired a New Orleans man
for $18,000 to appraise whether news stories
about its actions in the gulf oil spill were
positive or negative for the Obama administration....
The government also spent $10,000 for just over
three minutes of video showing a routine offshore
rig inspection for news organizations but
couldn't say whether any ran the footage. And it
awarded a $216,625 no-bid contract for a survey
of seabirds to an environmental group that has
criticized what it calls the "extreme
anti-conservation record" of Sarah Palin, a
possible 2012 rival to President Obama.

ANOTHER TREASURE TO BE DESTROYED BY OIL LUST
http://thecanadian.org/k2/item/287-enbridge-pipeline-video
Oil in Eden: The Battle to Protect Canada's Pacific Coast
the battle to stop the proposed Enbridge Northern
Gateway Pipeline from the Alberta Tar Sands, and
the associated oil supertankers that would
gravely threaten BC's spectacular coast.

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2010/09/22/peak-oil-interview-misconceptions-replacing-oil-and-false-solutions/
Peak Oil Interview: Misconceptions, Replacing Oil, and False Solutions - video
EXCELLENT!

ALSO EXCELLENT
http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2010-09-30/stages-peak-oil-awareness
Stages of Peak Oil Awareness
I’ve been a clinical psychologist for the past 22
years, have worked in a variety of settings, and
with people of different ages and a variety of
presenting problems, but nothing in my
professional background prepared me emotionally
to wrap my head around Peak Oil....
Four and a half years ago, I began a research
project to figure out what is a “normal” reaction
to learning about Peak Oil, and this essay is a
summary of what I’ve learned. If you don’t know
what Peak Oil is, here is a quick, easy to
understand and funny explanation from the website
for the newly released movie: How to Boil a Frog.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAMDVt_gor4 - 4
parts - also   http://www.howtoboilafrog.com/peakoil.html)

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2010-09-26/could-peak-oil-save-human-species
Could peak oil save the human species?
Guy McPherson, conservation biologist, climate
scientist and blogger, who despite his gloomy
outlook about the prospects for industrial
civilization--he thinks it could disappear within
his lifetime--regards himself as an optimist.
Why?...  he discovered the concept of peak oil
and realized that "its consequences might bring
the industrial economy to an overdue close, just
in time."   [Except they keep drilling.]

http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2010/09/back_to_school_month_peak_ener.php
Back to School Month: Peak Oil 101
Think you don’t believe in Peak Oil?  Sharon Astyk says you do...

And Dave Pollard imagines What happened when the oil ran out
http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2010-09-27/what-happened-when-oil-ran-out
(This story/scenario was written as part of the
preparation for the visioning exercise for Bowen
In Transition, which is helping communities all
over the world to prepare for the threat of
energy, economic, and ecological collapse, and to
transition to a post-cheap-oil,
post-global-industrial- economy,
post-stable-climate future. The visioning
exercise is a collective collaboration to imagine
how these crises will affect the local community,
and what could be done now and in the near future
to prepare for and adapt to these crises and
increase local resilience. I’ve written this
story because I think there’s a risk that those
in my community may significantly underestimate
the severity of the challenges the world will
soon face, and hence how much work we need to do
on our little (4 mile-by-5 mile, 3800 people,
three miles west of Greater Vancouver) island to
be ready, and to change. They will likely find my
scenario too pessimistic, too dire for their
liking. We’ll see I guess. I’m not prescribing
solutions here, especially as the crises become
more complex and start cascading into each other:
This is the work that our Visioning Team, and
then the Transition Working Groups, will have to
do. I’ve therefore left the story unfinished, and
if we want it to have a happy ending, I think
we’ve got our work cut out for us.)

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/09/27/looking-for-trouble/
Looking for Trouble
George Monbiot asks WHY TPTB are seeking to drill
for oil everywhere - If we burn just 60% of
current global reserves of fossil fuels, we
produce two degrees of warming. We cannot afford
to use what has already been discovered, let
alone to find more. Yet no one in either the
current or past governments has been prepared to engage with it. Before

http://www.alternet.org/story/148288/a_proposed_dirty_oil_pipeline_would_put_americans_at_risk_for_cancer_and_asthma_--_why_are_senators_pushing_for_its_hasty_approval?page=entire
A Proposed Dirty Oil Pipeline Would Put Americans
at Risk for Cancer and Asthma -- Why Are Senators
Pushing For Its Hasty Approval?
The oil it promises to provide could be recovered
just by increasing our cars' fuel efficiency by
about two and a half miles per gallon -- something we already know how to do.
The tar sands pits in Alberta, Canada that
Senators Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Saxby Chambliss
(R-Georgia) and Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) visited last
week are so bleak that one UN official, after
seeing them for the first time, compared them to
Mordor, the hellish wasteland from Lord of the
Rings....  But Senator Graham, after meeting with
oil industry representatives and tar sands
proponents, hailed the toxic mines, the source of
the world's dirtiest fuel, as "an industrial
ballet," adding that the project "really blends with the natural habitat."
Huh?

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/10/01-0
A High-Risk Energy Boom Sweeps Across North America
Energy companies are rushing to develop
unconventional sources of oil and gas trapped in
carbon-rich shales and sands throughout the
western United States and Canada. So far,
government officials have shown little concern
for the environmental consequences of this new fossil fuel development boom.
Not one mention of the most devastating environmental effect - climate change

http://www.opednews.com/populum/linkframe.php?linkid=119323
Gulf Drilling Moratorium May Be Lifted Early

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/01/us/01drill.html?_r=1
U.S. Issues New Rules on Offshore Drilling
New rules are meant to prevent accidents like the
fire on a Gulf of Mexico platform in September.

http://www.sierraclub.org/paidforbybigoil/
Paid for by Big Oil
Video tracking campaign contributions from Big Oil

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20101001_Marcellus_Shale_fight_takes_new_turn_with_pipeline_mandate.html
Marcellus Shale fight takes new turn with pipeline mandate
Pennsylvania must spend $11.8 million for
pipeline to deliver water to 18 rural
residences  whose household wells are contaminated by natural gas.

http://www.americanprogressaction.org/issues/2010/09/dirty_money.html
Oil Companies and Special Interests Spend
Millions to Oppose Climate Legislation

http://environment.change.org/blog/view/russians_to_float_nuclear_plant_in_the_arctic_as_ice_melts
Russians to Float Nuclear Plant in the Arctic as Ice Melts
Claim zero-risk nuclear technology - right.  Will heat the water more...

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/scotland-to-run-off-100-renewable-energy-by-2025/
Scotland to Run Off 100% Renewable Energy by 2025

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/29/AR2010092906595.html
China leading the world in clean energy investment

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-24-texas-governors-race-an-interview-with-democrat-bill-white1
Texas guv candidate Bill White talks wind, solar, and urban planning
Wouldn’t it be a relief to get rid of Perry?

Appalachia Rising Reports
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/09/27-7
Mass Arrests in DC: We Shall No Longer Be Crucified Upon the Cross of Coal
Over one hundred protesters from the Appalachian
coalfields were arrested in front of the White
House today, defiantly calling on the Obama
administration to abolish mountaintop removal
mining. As part of the Appalachia Rising events,
the coalfield residents took part in a multi-day
series of events to bring the escalating human
rights, environmental and health care crisis to the nation's capitol.

Appalachia is Rising Against Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining
Destroy life, property, mountains, streams,
families, communities and the planet to obtain a
filthy fossil fuel. Burn it for electricity,
releasing poisons and driving the climate to the
breaking point. Contain the resulting sludge and
toxic ash in billion gallon ponds, until they
break. Call it clean. Get the President to call
it clean. Add alliteration and a multi-million
dollar PR campaign. Voila, you have clean coal.

http://www.truth-out.org/months-after-west-virginia-mining-disaster-us-issues-emergency-order-coal-dust63590
Months After West Virginia Mining Disaster, US
Issues Emergency Order on Coal Dust
As I recall, Massey mine bosses weren't obeying
the already existing regs on coal dust.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/09/28-8
Greenpeace Activists Call For Federal Standards on Hazardous Coal Waste

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/09/30/a-big-coal-ash-problem-at-little-blue/
A Big Coal Ash Problem At Little Blue
Little Blue is one of 49 sites around the country
whose dam currently has a High Hazard Potential
rating. This rating means that if the dam holding
back Little Blue’s toxic slurry – the largest
earthen dam in the country – were to breach, it
would result in probable loss of life, largely to
communities across the river in Ohio.

http://www.truth-out.org/industry-wraps-coal-ash-regulation-fight-mantle-civil-rights63798
Industry Wraps Coal Ash Regulation Fight in the Mantle of Civil Rights
You’d think the damn spin doctors would have constant vertigo.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,719751,00.html#ref=nlint
German States To Oppose CO2 Storage Law

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/0928/Why-many-environmentalists-will-fight-Germany-s-green-energy-plan
Why many environmentalists will fight Germany's green energy plan
The German cabinet approved on Tuesday an
overhaul to the country's energy production, but
upset antinuclear activists by extending the life of the nuclear power plants.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/09/30-8
New Report Concludes Synthetic Biofuels Won’t Help Solve the Climate Crisis

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/33-renewable-energy-is-goal-for-california-2.html
33% Renewable Energy is Goal for California

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11417781
Russia and China sign series of energy agreements

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/business/energy-environment/27green.html?_r=1&ref=world
Asia Begins Embracing Solar Power
While climate deniers and fossil fuel industry hold sway here

http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/6524
Shell in row over Brazilian Indian land grab
Brazilian authorities have written to energy
giant Shell expressing concern over the
activities of its new Brazilian joint-venture
partner, which is producing biofuels from land
taken from an impoverished Indian tribe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/science/earth/29fossil.html?_r=2&ref=world
Ancient Italian Town Has Wind at Its Back
800 Italian towns have instituted renewable energy and sell the excess.

http://www.truth-out.org/wind-energy-can-power-much-east-coast-study-says63637
Wind Energy Can Power Much of East Coast, Study Says
But will there be energy and materials to build them??

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/01/schwarzenegger-blasts-black-oil-hearts-of-prop-23-backers/
Schwarzenegger Blasts “Black Oil Hearts” of Prop 23 Backers
Say what you will about California Governor
Arnold Schwarzenegger, but despite being the
onetime public face of the Hummer, he’s
consistently come out on the side of good green
policy for his state. And he may have just
offered up his most vehement defense of any green
law out there, criticizing the Texas oil
company-led effort to pass Proposition 23, which
would overturn California’s groundbreaking
climate law. He publicly attacked the lack of
trustworthiness of the oil industry and their
“black oil hearts”. Seriously, you’ve got to read this gem of a quote:
"They are creating a shell argument that they are
doing this to protect jobs.  Does anybody really
believe they are doing this out of the goodness
of their black oil hearts – spending millions and
millions of dollars to save jobs?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/7970619/Obama-could-kill-fossil-fuels-overnight-with-a-nuclear-dash-for-thorium.html
Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium - ???
If Barack Obama were to marshal America’s vast
scientific and strategic resources behind a new
Manhattan Project, he might reasonably hope to
reinvent the global energy landscape and sketch
an end to our dependence on fossil fuels within three to five years.

http://www.energyefficiencynews.com/policy/i/3425/
Commercial buildings and hospitals can cut energy use 50%, say reports

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/want-a-low-carbon-footprint-humancar-video.html
Want a Low Carbon Footprint HumanCar? (video)
4 hp (humanpower) vehicle - watch video, then go
here for more info - http://humancar.com/overview.htm
Still will require a lot of energy and materials to build.

http://thecanadian.org/k2/item/289-doherty-cut-freeway-spending
Cut Freeway Spending to Create More Jobs

http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks/worldclock/
The World Clock Of Global Statistics
Would you like to know the up-to-the-minute
environmental statistics for: projected global
warming, CO2 emissions, and forest land lost? How
about population birth, deaths, and the ages of
the Earth’s inhabitants? Maybe oil depletion and
traditional energy use vs. renewable interests
you. Or maybe, food production  and animal
slaughter statistics? Maybe you just want to know
how many spam emails have been circulated this
year? Well, look no further than the World Clock.

“If we do not do the impossible, we shall be
faced with the unthinkable.”  social philosopher Murray Bookchin
How can a person live a moral life in a culture
of death?  Charles Bowden  Some of the Dead Are Still Breathing