[Poclad] Collapse XXI

Raging Grannie (Wanda B) wsb70 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 12:34:26 PDT 2010

GEAB (Global/EuropeAnticipation Bulletin) #43 is
available! The five steps of the global geopolitical dislocation phase
http://www.leap2020.eu/GEAB-N-43-is-available!-The-five-steps-of-the-global-geopolitical-dislocation-phase_a4420.html
In this context, LEAP/E2020 ( European Laboratory
of Political Anticipation) believes that the
phase of world geopolitical dislocation will take
place in to five successive steps, laid out in
this GEAB issue. That is to say:
0.Beginning of the phase of global geopolitical dislocation
1.Step 1: Monetary disputes and financial shocks
2.Step 2: Trade disputes
3.Step 3: State crises
4.Step 4: Socio-political crises
5.Step 5: Strategic crises
In addition, in this GEAB issue, our team
discloses the eight countries which seem to it to
be more dangerous than Greece on the matter of
sovereign debt ; whilst also giving its analysis
of how the post-crisis financial economy will
work out compared to the real one. Then
LEAP/E2020 gives its monthly suggestions
(currencies, shares,
.) including a number of
criteria to more reliably interpret data in the
particular context of this world geopolitical dislocation phase.

Carolyn Baker Interviewed on Peak Moment TV re Post Peak Living online course
http://www.wordpress.peakmoment.tv/conversations/?p=374#more-374

Kathy McMahon: the Hidden History of Cooperation in America
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/52217
Part of the puzzle in figuring out why income
alone doesn’t make people jolly can be resolved
by examining the active protests that happened
when Americans moved from being self-employed to
becoming employees. The revolt is part of the
hidden history of cooperatives and communialism
in America, written in a riveting book by John
Curl called
“<http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php?story=johncurl>For
All the People.” This book goes a long way to
answer the question of what people did during times of trouble.
A funny thing happens on the way down the limited
resources slide: People get increasingly greedy
or people become more cooperative, collective and communal.

Obama Administration Cops to Likelihood of Looming Global Oil Shortage
http://www.postcarbon.org/press-release/85743-obama-administration-cops-to-likelihood-of
Post Carbon Institute hereby issues a formal call
for the U.S. Department of Energy to come forward
with all possible clarity and directness on where
the world stands with regard to future oil
supplies. The American people have already paid
for this information through their taxes and they
will bear the brunt of higher oil prices if these are indeed in the offing.
We also call for urgent updated studies on (1)
what would be the economic impacts of high oil
prices and shortages, and (2) what could be done
mitigate those impacts. Independent analyses have
so far suggested that building public transit and
rail, rather than more highways, would give the
nation more and better options in the event of a
permanent decline in world oil production;
however, that conclusion will carry far more
weight if it bears the imprimatur of the DoE. If,
as previous studies suggest, world oil production
is at or close to its peak and the economic
impacts will be severe, then it is incumbent upon
government at all levels to begin preparations.

Oil Drum Recommends Courses and Books on Peak Oil
http://campfire.theoildrum.com/node/6340#more

Living off the Grid Forever
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/Living-Off-The-Grid-Forever.aspx

Preparedness for Newbies
http://www.survivalblog.com/newbies.html

Listening to the Land: Life Lessons in a Colorado Cornfield
http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-community/listening-to-the-land-life-lessons-in-a-colorado-cornfield.aspx
As she works her family’s 5 acres with the help
and company of a wise neighbor, Brenda Peterson
discovers the wonder of nature in a musical, generous cornfield.

Preserving Apples, Tomatoes, and Corn
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2001-10-01/Savor-Summers-Harvest-All-Year-Long.aspx

5 Ways to Value Dirt
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/fiveways-values-dirt.html

Repelling Garden Pests Naturally
http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/03/garden_defense_--_repelling_fo.html

Tips on Weedless Gardening - really good!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/weedless-gardening.aspx
Use this labor-saving, natural weed control
system to prevent weeds from overwhelming your garden.

Does Eating Processed Foods Lead to Depression?
http://www.naturalnews.com/028446_processed_foods_depression.html

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!  McDonalds Scraps Composting
Project Because its Food Won't Decompose
http://www.grist.org/article/2010-04-01-mcdonalds-scraps-composting-program-food-decompose/
Be sure to click on links!

3 Questions for a Sustainable Society: Does it Create Abundance?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Rancho-Cappuccino/Four-Questions-For-A-Sustainable-Society-Does-It-Create-Abundance.aspx

Guy Mcpherson: What Works: Food.  Read about his
lush desert gardens and thriving homestead
http://www.energybulletin.net/52164
When we started this endeavor, about two years
ago, I could barely distinguish between a hammer
and a zucchini. And that tells you all you need
to know about my construction skills as well as
my gardening skills. As I've pointed out many
times before, if I can do this, I can hardly
imagine somebody who can't. But you'd better get
cracking. The time to plant a garden is not when you're hungry.

Organic Farming Opens the Way for Farmers to
Return to Their Proper Role as Innovators and Stewards of the Land
http://www.energybulletin.net/52170
The Center for Rural Affairs
(CRA)(<http://www.cfra.org/>http://www.cfra.org/),
located in Lyons, Neb., a town of 980, represents
a set of values that reflect the best in rural
people, he said: fairness, widespread ownership,
personal and social responsibility and
stewardship of the land where it is preserved for the next generation.
“When you look beyond selfish interests, the true
interests reflect these values and are tied to
community and the common good,” said Hassebrook........
“We can't wait for government or corporate America to save us.”

The New Agriculture: a Revolution
http://www.energybulletin.net/52169
It is hardly possible to read the news these days
without tripping over another story about scrappy
city folk turning wasted space into lush gardens
that produce astonishing amounts of nutritious
food­vegetables, honey, eggs, goat cheese­you
name it. Every day, greater numbers of ordinary
people appear to be answering Sharon Astyk’s call
for an army of new farmers to return to the land, wherever they can find it.
In other words, this is no passing novelty. It is
a movement springing up spontaneously all over
the country that is quietly revolutionizing how
we grow and share food; how we occupy the land
where we live--(Yes, an urban neighborhood is
"land")--how we define economic value; how we
relate to each other in small, local communities
whose shape and character are determined by
common need; and how we think of "power", both political and economic.
(Full disclosure: I am one of those new farmers.
My family has recently launched New Leaf Gardens,
a half-acre micro-farm within sight of downtown Denver.)

Learning to Live a Self-sufficient Life
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/Learn-To-Live-A-Self-Sufficient-Life.aspx
We built our own straw/clay home and got off the
grid. Now we’re growing our own food and living our dreams!

What Is a Green Economy?
Herman Daly, promoter of a Steady-State Economy
for over 30 years.  Center for the Advancement of
the Steady StateEconomy - http://steadystate.org/
  http://www.energybulletin.net/node/52184
A green economy is an economy that imitates green
plants as far as possible. Plants use scarce
terrestrial materials to capture abundant solar
energy, and are careful to recycle the materials
for reuse. Although humans are not able to
photosynthesize, we can imitate the strategy of
maximizing use of the sun while economizing on
terrestrial minerals, fossil fuels, and
ecological services. Ever since the industrial
revolution our strategy has been the opposite.
Fortunately, as economist Nicholas
Georgescu-Roegen noted, we have not yet learned
how to mine the sun and use up tomorrow’s solar
energy for today’s growth. But we can mine the
earth and use up tomorrow’s fossil fuels,
minerals, and waste absorption capacities today.
We have eagerly done this to grow the economy,
but have neglected the fact that the costs of
doing so have surpassed the benefits – that is to
say, growth has actually become uneconomic.

The Impacts of the Economic Crisis on Public
Health, Part II: Paradigms and the Right Questions
  http://www.energybulletin.net/node/52172
Part I:  http://www.energybulletin.net/node/48316

Unschooling & Unworking: Confessions of a
stay-at-home family (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4), by Myra Eddy
http://newoldtraditions.com/2009/12/05/unschooling-unworking-confessions-of-a-stay-at-home-family-part-1-by-myra-eddy/
http://newoldtraditions.com/2009/12/10/unschooling-unworking-confessions-of-a-stay-at-home-family-part-2-by-myra-eddy-2/
http://newoldtraditions.com/2010/03/26/unschooling-unworking-confessions-of-a-stay-at-home-family-part-3/
http://newoldtraditions.com/2010/03/28/unschooling-unworking-confessions-of-a-stay-at-home-family-part-4/

Hard Plastics Dissolve in Oceans Producing Endrocrine Disruptor
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100323184607.htm

If Seas Keep Warming, All Coral Could Be Gone in 100 Years
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36040614/ns/world_news-world_environment/

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/mar2010/heat-m27.shtml
Obama cuts to home energy assistance to have devastating consequences

“If we do not do the impossible, we shall be
faced with the unthinkable.”  social philosopher Murray Bookchin