[Local_activists] The heat wave hitting most of U.S. and many other areas too.

Wanda Ballentine wsb70 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 12:55:20 PDT 2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/temperature-of-105-sets-all-time-high-at-dulles-international-airport/2011/07/22/gIQAhzbPUI_story.html
Heat index hits 121 as punishing temperatures grip D.C.
.... The combination of heat and humidity
produced a heat index in Washington of 121
degrees, the highest since July 1980. The
suffocating conditions stemmed from a sprawling,
moist tropical air mass — described as a heat
dome or heat bubble — that reached the region
Thursday and is expected to remain into
Sunday.... Local authorities had reported no
heat-related deaths, but at least 25 people
nationwide have died in the heat wave.  (Why not the Gang of Six?)
Check out the heat that's hitting much of the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/heat-wave-hits-washington-but-its-men-remain-armored-in-their-suits/2011/07/22/gIQASMvMUI_story.html
Heat wave hits Washington, but its men remain armored in their suits
He does not fear Sunpocalypse. He’ll laugh if you
call it that. He does not shop on London’s Savile
Row, but his stiff upper lip makes it seem so. He
does not begrudge his uniform. He relishes the
corporate noose. He admires, never envies, a
woman in a red tank top. He does not hog the
Metro fan.  His cuffs stay buttoned. His jacket,
unruffled. His handkerchief, his only shield....
Washington men do not bow to Apollo. Our sun kings never relinquish the suit.
(So are they brain-fried?  Oblivious in remaining
heat-resistant and refusing to see climate change everywhere ?)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070902341.html
Dept. of What If - In the heat wave, the case against air conditioning
This isn't smart. In a country that's among the
world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air
conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers.
The energy required to air-condition American
homes and retail spaces has doubled since the
early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators
burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases,
which raises global temperatures, which creates a
need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.
A.C.'s obvious public-health benefits during
severe heat waves do not justify its lavish use
in everyday life for months on end.... Best of
all, Washington's biggest business -- government
-- is transformed. In 1978, 50 years after air
conditioning was installed in Congress, New York
Times columnist Russell Baker noted that,
pre-A.C., Congress was forced to adjourn to avoid
Washington's torturous summers.  {And,if the A/C
blows -knocking out fans as well...)
Stan Cox is the author of "Losing Our Cool:
Uncomfortable Truths About Our Air-Conditioned
World (and Finding New Ways to Get Through the Summer)." better check it out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-extreme-weather/2011/07/21/gIQAcjZaTI_story.html
Five myths about extreme weather
     Challenging everything you think you know

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070804271.html?sid=ST2010070904277
On climate change, let cool heads prevail
It's odd how little we've heard lately from the
skeptics who deny that climate change is real.
What's the matter, people? Heat stroke?

http://news.mongabay.com/2011/0721-hance_seaice.html
“Heatwave' in Arctic decimating sea ice