[Local_activists] Collapse 47

Wanda Ballentine wsb70 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 22:24:03 PST 2010

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/what-not-to-recycle-2
Happy National Recycling Week. Here's What Not to Recycle.
Throwing the wrong type in the recycling can mess up a whole batch.
Broken glass to a recycler -- regardless of
whether they're recycling paper, plastic,
aluminum or, ironically, even glass -- works its
way into everything and winds up making a big
mess. Broken glass should simply be thrown away,
especially if it's from broken windows, drinking
glasses, Pyrex or mirrors. Or you can make use of
it in mosaics. Earth911 is an amazing resource
for how, where, and what to recycle, beyond the
typical things collected curbside in your area.
These types of glass should never be put in your
recycling bin.  "glass" from glassware, ceramics,
window panes, or mirrors.  When recycling paper,
don't toss in greasy pizza boxes or paper
containers for liquids - milk cartons and coffee
cups. Wrappers for food packaging should be sent
to TerraCycle, which collects dozens of brands of
typically unrecyclable packaging and products,
even Sharpie pens!  The Terra Cycle video is
fascinating  http://www.terracycle.net/

http://www.alternet.org/story/148796/as_the_country_falls_apart%2C_it%27s_time_for_our_revolution?page=entire
As the Country Falls Apart, It's Time for Our Revolution
A call to arms from Ted Rall's new book, "Anti-American Manifesto."
Though small in numbers, anarchists and
"deepgreen" anti-civilization environmentalists
are highly influential in what passes for the
American Left, publishing well-regarded books,
magazines, and blogs that inspire many people.
Deep-green types fantasize about a collapse
scenario that will save the world without anyone
having to lift a finger. They imagine an
involuntarily deindustrializing economy that
allows the earth to heal while people gather to
form small clans and low-impact villages based on
ideals of equality. Here is a quote from Jan
Lundberg, a deep-green proponent of "peak oil"
theory: "New social norms and tribal law will
help break from the past and possibly outlaw
incipient reversion to the failed system of
exploitation of people and nature. In any case,
the 'new' model of sharing and cooperation will
outdo in productivity any vestiges of the old
models of selfishness and trying to insulate
oneself or one's family from the surrounding changed world."
That would be nice, but I don't see how the
deep-green idyll could logically follow the
disintegration of the United States government.
Theoretically, people might form intentional
communities (the current term for communes)
and/or polyamorous clans of one hundred to one
hundred fifty in Ecotopia (the term for a
theoretical independent Pacific Northwest),
living off the land, all local and
sustainable-like. But these utopian societies
won't be able to count on being left alone to
live peacefully. The millions of partisans who
follow Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and right-wing
televangelists happen to be the best-armed people
around, and they despise just about everyone who
doesn't think and pray like them. They will see
collapse as affirmation of their beliefs that
secular liberalism is destructive. They will also
see it as an opportunity to create a new, ordered
world atop the ashes. They will act to stop
teenage sluts from getting abortions, teach
niggers a lesson, and slaughter those spics,
dots, and everyone else who doesn't fit into
their vision of what and who is right. Anarchists
may opt out of revolution, but counterrevolution will come to them.
Interview with Ted Rall
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31510813/#40134425

http://www.energybulletin.net/media/2010-11-01/peak-oil-vs-pathological-optimism
Ecoshock:  Peak oil vs. pathological optimism
Why are we "the Doomers" for thinking oil is
limited? Clinical psychologist
<http://www.peakoilblues.com>Kathy McMahon ("the
Peak Shrink") finds people all over the world are
worried about fossil civilization collapsing. In
this hot new speech, get answers for our own sanity, in a crazy world.
Download the audio for this episode
<http://209.217.209.33/%7Eesnet/downloads/ES_101029_Show_LoFi.mp3>here.
14 MB End music "End of the Age of Oil" by David Rovics.
Extra 20 min interview Alex and
Kathy<http://www.ecoshock.org/downloads/peakoil/ES_McMahon_Interview_LoFi.mp3>
here.
Full 80 minute speech
<http://www.ecoshock.org/downloads/peakoil/ES_Mahon_Speech_1_LoFi.mp3>Part
1 and
<http://www.ecoshock.org/downloads/peakoil/ES_McMahon_Speech_2_LoFi.mp3>Part 2.

http://www.declineoftheempire.com/2010/11/the-empires-decline-where-do-we-stand.html
The Empire's Decline — Where Do We Stand?

http://www.energybulletin.net/media/2010-11-10/peak-moment-184-yes-ready-anything
Peak Moment 184: YES! Ready for anything VideoAudio
Interview with YES! Magazine executive editor
Sarah van Gelder and Publisher Fran Korten.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/
Ethical Consumer - challenging corporate power since 1989
Interesting website

http://www.utne.com/Politics/Nothing-Grows-Forever-Endless-Growth-Economy.aspx?utm_content=11.09.10+Environment&utm_campaign=Emerging+Ideas-Every+Day&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email
Nothing Grows Forever
Meet the economists who are rewriting the gospel of consumption

http://transitionculture.org/2010/11/09/now-available-localisation-and-resilience-at-the-local-level-the-case-of-transition-town-totnes-devon-uk/
Ingredients of Transition:  ‘Localisation and
Resilience at the Local Level: The Case of Transition Town Totnes (Devon, UK)’

http://transitionculture.org/2010/11/12/ingredients-of-transition-social-entrepriseentrepreneurshipIngredients
of Transition: Social Entreprise/Entrepreneurship
The model of community initiatives that are
dependent on external funding from philanthropic
organisations, governments and external grant
giving bodies is becoming increasingly redundant
as economies contract and budgets shrink.  In a
wider context, we are still living off the
surplus generated at a time of high Energy Return
on Investment, which enabled surplus to be
redistributed.  That window of opportunity is
starting to close as we enter a time of declining
net energy and economic contraction.  There is
often a resistance within community
organisations, especially those with an
environmental agenda, to think about how they
might operate in such a way that pursues their
ethics but also functions as an enterprise,
generating revenue for the ongoing development of
the organisation, but that resistance needs, increasingly, to be overcome.

http://transitionculture.org/2010/11/01/ingredients-of-transition-how-others-see-ushow-we-communicate/
Ingredients of Transition: How Others See Us/How We Communicate
People who are passionate about issues that
necessitate change in others (most green issues
fall into this category) can sometimes lack an
awareness of how they communicate their message.
For many, green campaigners can appear fanatical,
naive, uninformed, smug, judgemental, patronising
or offensive (very few embody all of these, but I
have seen talks by one or two people who managed
it). Communicating Transition without such an
awareness can, ultimately, be self defeating.

http://carolynbaker.net/content/view/1837/1/
Sharon Astyk - Loving Your Neighbors and Working with Them
Because rather than talking about "working" with
your neighbors or "getting along" or "building
community" - all languages I use at times, I did
want to talk about the problem of actually loving
them, despite the difficulties that the word
"love" evokes. I think it is the correct word, in
fact. Instead of thinking of "love" as a
particular feeling you have to evoke, we think of
it as a larger structure for our relationships,
an economy if you will, in the, literal sense of
the world, a way of organizing our world.

http://transitionculture.org/2010/11/09/can-totnes-and-district-house-itself-the-potential-of-local-building-materials-to-build-resilience/
The potential of local building materials to build resilience

http://www.culturechange.org/cms/content/view/682/1/
Floating Hostels to the Rescue - for Homeless Too
Jan Lundberg
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/cob-construction-could-be-for-you.html
The Eco-Friendly Building Method You’ve Never Heard Of
Probably have - cob construction

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/finding-fulfillment-in-a-12x12-house.html
Finding Fulfillment in a 12×12 House

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-11-04-how-the-places-we-live-make-us-sick-and-how-they-could-heal-us-i
How the places we live make us sick, and how they could heal us instead
Healing Cities Working Group of planners and health professionals in Vancouver.
"eight pillars of a healthy community:"
     * Complete community (land use, density)
     * Healthy mobility (transit)
     * Healthy buildings (green buildings)
     * Thriving landscapes (open space)
     * Green infrastructure (water, sewers etc)
     * Healthy food system (organic agriculture, nutrition)
     * Healthy community (facilities, programs)
     * Healthy abundance (sustainable economic development)

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/11/11-6
Coalition Pushes for Amendment to Controversial Senate Food Safety Bill
Cornucopia Institute:  Over 125 national, state,
and grassroots organizations are notifying
members of the United States Senate that an
amendment proposed by Sen. Jon Tester (MT) and
Sen. Kay Hagan (NC), is critical to ensuring that
the food safety bill being considered by the
Senate does not injure the livelihoods of
family-scale farmers and undercut consumers'
opportunity to find fresh, local farm produce and
locally artisan food products.

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6351/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1637
Sign on to the Slow Money Principles

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/a-farm-vacation.html
A Farm Vacation
Learn by doing

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/healing-vets-through-sustainable-farming-the-farmer-veteran-coalition/
Healing Vets through Sustainable Farming: The Farmer Veteran Coalition
The Farmers Veteran Coalition offers employment
training and places to heal for America's
veterans on American farms. Returning veterans
need employment and often, a calm place to go,
while the older generation of farmers are
retiring, leaving the land unworked. The
Coalition serves as a clearinghouse for training,
and works to connect veterans with ways to
finance their agricultural education along with
farm- and food-related job opportunities.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/pamela-omalley-chang/bees-for-my-backyard
Bees for My Backyard

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-bloom-food-waste-20101107,0,2596256.story
Help the planet: Stop wasting food
The average family of four, conservatively,
throws out an estimated $1,350 annually - this
also wastes the fossil fuel that went into
growing, processing, transporting and
refrigerating it.  2% of all U.S. energy
consumption went to producing food that was never eaten.
That waste of resources continues after we throw
away food. There is the energy required to haul
the discarded food to the landfill. And once
there, food decomposes and creates methane, a
greenhouse gas 23 times more potent a heat
trapper than carbon dioxide. Landfills are the
second-largest human-related source of methane
emissions, and rotting food causes the majority
of methane there. It's climate change coming directly from your kitchen.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/store-fresh-vegetables-zm0z01zsie.aspx
How to Store Fresh Vegetables
You can learn the best crops to grow or buy, and
how to store fresh vegetables year round.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/diggin-it/2010/1110/How-to-store-autumn-s-bounty-of-vegetables-and-fruits?
How to store autumn's bounty of vegetables and fruits
Winter's coming. Here's how to preserve the
fruits and vegetables you grew or bought at
farmers’ markets, including how to build a root cellar in 30 minutes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/the-food-storage-secret-our-grandparents-knew/article1782897/
The food storage secret our grandparents knew

http://vimeo.com/16513455
Farmageddon Trailer
The food police at work.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/local-eating-in-winter.html
Eat Local, Even in Winter

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2010-11-10/local-food-movement-elitist
Sharon Astyk - Is the local food movement elitist?
the accusation that local food is elitist is
actually a product of the industrial food
infrastructure - that is, the requirements of an
industrial food system, the presumption that the
basic structure of food production should be
industrialized is what makes the price of good
food higher. The accusation that local food isn't
"serious" because it costs more is an accusation
in bad faith - the reason it costs more is
because the same system makes it cost more.

http://www.grist.org/article/food-2010-11-04-bpa-is-bad-for-your-semen-and-other-stories
BPA is bad for your semen, and other news about
our favorite endocrine disruptor

http://www.anh-usa.org/genetically-engineered-foods-and-new-action-alert/
Genetically Engineered Foods — New Action Alert!
t should come as no surprise, then, that
genetically engineered foods are causing terrible
genetic changes in mammal offspring.  Scientists
are seeing birth defects, high infant mortality
rates, and sterility in hamsters, rats, and
livestock fed genetically engineered soy and
corn. Some hamster pups even begin growing hair
inside their mouths. What we eat changes the
biology of our children and our children’s
children, and may harm them irreparably.

http://www.truth-out.org/war-over-genetically-modified-crops-gets-ugly-birth-defects-superweeds-and-science-intimidation64915
War Over Monsanto Gets Ugly

http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/home-cheesemaking-business-ze0z10zhir.aspx
Home Cheesemaking: From Hobby to Business
Artisan cheesemakers who aspire to make their
passion a profession will face many challenges on
the way to establishing a successful business.
Find out what to consider before taking the leap.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/11/11/rothsay-energy-challenge/
Minn. town takes on energy conservation challenge
High school students spark town drive to reduce energy use by 15%.
How about your town??

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2010/1105/An-ARE-YOU-SMARTER-THAN-AL-GORE-energy-quiz/Which-laundry-method-saves-more-energy
Take this energy quiz - you’ll be surprised

http://www.grist.org/article/food-2010-11-01-electronic-gadgets-come-from-somewhere
Like your dinner, your gadgets come from somewhere
Think about the social and ecological ruin that
accompanies your electronics.  In addition to
electromagnetic pollution, of course,
http://www.livevideo.com/video/CB56B375D3AC48C2859D784A9C717059/international-emf-conference-2.aspx,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8kJYHSuig8

http://storyofstuff.org/electronics/
Annie Leonard on The Story of Electronics
which also doesn’t include electromagnetic pollution

http://www.energybulletin.net/media/2010-11-11/online-course-building-sustainable-health-systems-essential-role-public-health
Online Course: Building Sustainable Health
Systems: The Essential Role of Public Health

http://www.anh-usa.org/cdc-report-on-life-expectancy-latinos-live-longest-what-might-this-tell-us-about-medicine/
CDC Report on Life Expectancy—Latinos Live
Longest. What Might This Tell Us About Medicine?
might suggest that the standard medical
treatments available through health insurance are backfiring.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A754720101108
Look out, your medicine is watching you
Novartis AG plans to seek regulatory approval
within 18 months for a pioneering tablet
containing an embedded microchip, bringing the
concept of "smart-pill" technology a step closer.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/11/expired_medications_-_part_3_g.html
Expired Medications - Part 3: General Principles,

http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/emergency-survival-kits-zm0z10zvau.aspx
Emergency Survival Kits
Power outages
 severe storms
 no worries! With
a little planning, you can keep your family calm
and safe during short-term emergencies.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-ways-to-reuse-old-t-shirts.html
8 Ways to Reuse Old T-Shirts

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/recycle-yarn-rip-out-a-sweater-and-reuse-it.html
Recycle Yarn: Rip Out a Sweater and Reuse It!

http://www.toxictoysrus.com/
Toxic Toys R Us

https://secure2.convio.net/pcrm/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id=6860&6860.donation=form1&autologin=true&s_subsrc=H10-E91a&JServSessionIdr004=14ohn1q882.app209b
Test your toxicology knowledge!  While you’re at it.

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/scientists-antibacterial-soap-triclosan-dangerous-environment-people/
Science Shows Antibacterial Chemicals are Dangerous to People and Environment

http://www.counterpunch.org/healy11082010.html
An Interview with Wendell Berry -"Everything Worthy is Under Fire"
  Listen, we’re all petroleum dependent

  But we didn’t choose to have that life, it was thrust upon us.
  No, we didn’t choose it. But we’ll always be
subject to the question whether or not we’ve done
enough to stop it. Whether or not we’ve taken it
too much for granted. After all when I started
driving in 1950 nobody had even raised any of
these questions. So our fossil fuel addiction was
begun in a kind of innocence, but also in a kind
of ignorance. And that ignorance has come to a
drastic kind of enlightenment by now, so we do
have to raise these questions about our own behavior.

http://www.postcarbon.org/blog-post/176080-the-ultimate-roller-coaster-ride-a
Richard Heinberg - 300 Years of Fossil Fueled Growth in 5 Minutes

http://www.businessinsider.com/uh-oh-the-internet-is-running-out-of-space-2010-11
The Doomsday Scenario You Haven’t Heard About
The Internet is running out of room. Fast.?

http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/what-would-you-do-if-your-income-disappeared/
What Would You Do if Your Income Disappeared?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-community/voluntary-simplicity-elgin-xe0hir.aspx
Voluntary Simplicity: Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich
Simplicity is not about a life of poverty, but a
life of purpose. By embracing an existence
characterized by ecological awareness, frugal
consumption and personal growth, we can change
our lives — and, in the process, change the world.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/5939/
Mutual Aid - Backyard measures for drastic times
by Derrick Jensen
And now here’s the real, real point: It only took
me an hour. And it was a fun hour—an hour I spent
serving my landbase instead of playing a game on
a computer, or answering e-mail, or watching
television, or getting pissed off and flaming
someone in an online forum because of a column
that person wrote for Orion, or wasting time in
some other way that does absolutely no good for
the real, physical world.  The obvious and even
more real point is that we can all find an hour
or two per week we can give to our landbases.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/11/the_value_and_practice_of_jour.html
The Value and Practice of Journaling
Knowing we have faced and survived specific
difficulties in the past, as recorded in our
journal, we can be inspired and empowered to
survive them again in the future.    Our personal
writings can also serve as an instruction manual
for others.  In looking at my own family history,
one of my late ancestors often made dandelion
soup during a time of hardship.  However, she
never documented the recipe so her version of the
dish has been lost forever.  In a different time
and place, such knowledge could have meant the
difference between life and death for another person.

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/?id=329318&t=
Fascinating interview with Jon Stewart Rachel
Maddow interviews him, and they discuss the
differences, similarities, strengths, failures
and and intentions of regular news and comedic coverage of the news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k
Quantitative Easing Explained
Hilarious but unfortunately true